Using mobile data on a laptop via a mobile hotspot can be stressful, especially when you have a limited internet data pack or charges based on internet data usage and receive a warning that you are running out of data.
I faced this issue many times. It made me worry about running out of mobile data. I was always looking for solutions.
After exploring the web and being lost in Windows settings, I found quick solutions for saving mobile data. If you are using mobile data on your laptop, Then this blog can help to save your data.
In this article, I will guide you on saving mobile data while using a hotspot on your laptop. This solution will be for Windows 10 and Windows 11. So bear with me.
The reason behind much data consumption is mainly your laptop's settings which need to be changed. These settings people always ignore and do not learn more about those settings. I'll help you fix your device's settings today. And you'll be saving mobile data.
Let's move to our first step.
1. Enable Metered Connection on Windows to Save Data
This fantastic feature will be of great use to you! Your trusty laptop or computer will become an efficient data superhero when you set up your connection as metered! It's very excited about the mission of saving mobile data! So, I assure you, knowing that your device is a thoughtful data companion.
If you configure a connection as metered, your laptop or desktop will automatically limit the use of mobile data, making it more efficient and cost-effective.
For your understanding, What is a Metered Connection in Windows and How to Enable It?
A metered connection in Windows consists of an Internet connection with a data usage limit or charge based on the amount of data usage. Users with limited Internet data plans or who pay for Internet usage based on the amount of data they use can benefit from this feature.
When you set a network connection as "metered" on a Windows device, It informs the operating system that the connection has a limited data allowance. Consequently, Windows will attempt to reduce data usage by limiting or minimizing certain background activities and features that could consume a significant amount of data.
How to turn on the metered connection in Windows?
Here are the steps on how to turn on the metered connection in Windows:
- Open the ⚙ Settings app.
- Click on Network & Internet.
- On the left pane, select Wi-Fi or Ethernet, depending on the type of network connection you are using.
- Under the network you are connected to, click on Properties.
- Under Metered connection, turn on the Set as metered connection switch.
Once you turn on the metered connection, Windows will manage your data usage more carefully. Some apps may behave differently on a metered connection, and they may not automatically install some updates. However, this can help you save data if you are on a limited data plan.
2. Turn Off Windows Auto-Update and Save Data
Windows automatically downloads and installs update to keep your computer safe and secure. However, if you are on a limited data plan, you may want to turn off Windows auto-update to save data.
To turn off Windows auto-update, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Click on Windows Update.
- Under Advanced options, click on Choose how updates are delivered.
- Under Delivery optimization, turn off the Allow downloads from other PCs switch.
- Under Update settings, select Notify Me of available updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.
When you follow these steps, it will help you stop automatic download updates. But in case you want to update Windows you can check updates and install it manually.
If you're using a mobile hotspot on your laptop, do you want to find ways to save mobile data? This blog post will provide tips to help you reduce your data usage and avoid overage charges.
These tips will help you save mobile data, And your laptop or desktop will consume less data if you follow these steps.
Here are quick follow-ups about How to Save Mobile Data While Using a Mobile Hotspot on Your Laptop?
- Turn on the metered connection feature for your Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections. This will ensure that Windows only downloads updates when connected to Wi-Fi networks with unlimited data.
- Set Windows to download updates during off-peak hours to reduce data usage when you're most active online.